Ten Ways to Honor a Deceased Loved One at Christmas
Whether your loved one is recently deceased or passed away many years ago, the following ideas are ways for you to honor your loved one at this time of year.
- Give a gift to a special cause in the name of your loved one.
- Make simple holiday ornaments that symbolically represent your loved one, and give them to family and friends.
- Hang a holiday welcome wreath on your front door and keep plants or flowers in your home.
- Lay a place setting for your loved one at your main holiday meal.
- Honor your loved one at the parish by contributing to the Christmas Flowers that adorn the church environment for Christmas.
- Share an inspiring story about your loved one with a friend or acquaintance.
- Send thank you notes to those who were special to your loved one.
- Give to someone an item that belonged to your loved one.
- Make a New Year’s resolution that will honor your loved one throughout the coming year (e.g. give blood, mentor a child, volunteer your time or skills).
- Share your honoring activity with others so that others who also loved your loved one may share in the joy as a family affair.
At Christmas, we celebrate the coming of God to dwell in our midst in the birth of Jesus Christ, the one who passed through death to new life. Our loved one has gone through this same passage. Honoring our deceased loved one at Christmas helps us to keep them and what we loved about them always in our hearts, and to see and touch the power of life beyond death.
This inspiring list has been derived from CareNotes #21593 by Kass Dotterweich. The parish has many helpful CareNotes focused on health and healing at Christmas. Visit the Parish Office for more information, or contact the Pastoral Care Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-997-5110.