Purpose of Policy and Procedure:
The purpose of the Holy Spirit Parish Office Money Management Policy and Procedure is to ensure proper handling of cash and check transactions in the parish office. It is meant as a reference for finance office staff, pastoral staff, parish office staff and volunteers who receive payments on behalf of Holy Spirit Parish.
Scope of the Policy:
Holy Spirit Parish receives payments for events, donations, programs and services. These programs may require transactions at the front desk or through the U.S. Mail. The following policy and procedures are specific for the handling of financial transactions in the parish office.
Parish Money Handling Policy:
- Holy Spirit School (HSS) programs that are important to both the school and church should meet requirements of the Parish Finance Policy.
- In general, Parish Office Staff should not count cash and whenever possible should enlist volunteers to count cash.
Parish Finance Office Staff: Instruct staff about the policy and its requirements.
Parish Office Staff: Instruct office volunteers about the policy and what they are required to do.
Parish Office Volunteers:Must be aware and understand the policy and what is their role in compliance
- Checks or cash are received in the office either in person or by mail, or by other means.
- Checks or cash are logged into the correct paper log located at the front desk by trained volunteer or front office staff.
- There are five logs – Mass Stipends, General, Youth, APP and Seasonal as needed.
- Include as much detail as possible to describe the collected amount, if possible include accounts numbers.
Counting and depositing:
- Finance Office (FO) Staff retrieves logs from the front desk and the cash and checks from the Parish Office safe on Monday morning to prepare weekly deposit.
- FO Staff totals deposit on the log worksheet and verifies cash and check amounts against the log
- FO Staff Photocopies all checks and completes the chart of accounts spreadsheet and totals deposit.
- If cash and checks do not match log totals, FO Staff reports to Pastoral Administrator immediately.
- FO Staff prepares deposit slip for bank.
- Pastoral Administrator reviews deposit, signs approval worksheet and deposit slip.
- FO Staff completes Loomis bag with date, deposit amount and name of person who prepared the bag.
- Place cash/checks and both copies of deposit slips into Loomis bag and seal.
- FO Staff completes the Loomis Customer Consignment Log and places with sealed bags in parish office safe for weekly pick-up.